We’ve got a busy summer planned with expeditions at Bronze, Silver and Gold level including our first ever cycling expedition. To find out more take a look at the expedition pages
Each year the Exeter Open Award Centre runs an Open Gold Expedition Programme in conjunction with Devon Explorer Scouts (and Network). The programme is open to all who have enrolled for Gold and have completed their Silver expedition (or are a direct entrant to Gold). It consists of:
- Initial meeting and preliminary planning session – 16 November
- Navigation Training Days – once a month Jan through to June – compulsory attendance on at least one
- Compulsory training weekend covering both theory and practical elements of the syllabus using indoor accommodation – usually late March/April
- Assistance in planning your practice and qualifying expeditions
- Practice expedition – 4 days either on Dartmoor or Exmoor at the end of June/beginning of July
- Qualifying expedition and presentation – Normally 7 days away (1 day to travel to and acclimatise in expedition area, 4 day expedition, 1 day to prepare and deliver presentation as a team and have celebration party, 1 day to travel home). Location to be agreed by the group.
The dates for the training weekend and expeditions will be agreed to suit the majority of the group. The cost in previous years for the whole programme have been in the order of £130 including travel to the qualifying expedition area by scout minibus from Devon and 3 nights bunkhouse accommodation when not on expedition. But this cost will largely be dependent on where you want to go and whether you have your own transport and will be payable in installments. Grant funding may be available if cost is an issue.
If you want to take part please let us know ASAP and we’ll send you a very short questionnaire to gather your initial thoughts on the expedition and availability.
The initial meeting will be on Wednesday 16 November, 6:30 to 8pm, in the Community Room at Middlemoor Fire Station, Sidmouth Road, Exeter, EX2 7AP. It will also be possible to attend the meeting via Skype if you can’t make the meeting in person. If you can’t make the meeting at all, your responses on the questionnaire will be used in the discussion.
Unfortunately we have had to cancel the meeting on 21 September as none of the leaders are available. The next meeting will be on 5 October. Looking forward to seeing the completed presentations then.